You should never compromise your mental, emotional or physical health for the sake of tolerating a toxic family member. Our society has conditioned us to believe that family is supposed to be this spiritual bond that one should not break. However, it’s not necessarily true. If your relationship with a loved one is causing you harm, it’s your responsibility to cut those ties and stay away, no matter who they are. No one has the right to hurt you unless you allow them to. It’s normal to struggle with cutting ties or distancing with the people you love. After all, it is hard to accept that a family member is creating so much stress, anxiety, and pain.
Here are 7 things to look for when considering breaking free from all the negativity they bring to your life.
1. They are inconsistent in the way they treat you.
2. They have no respect or regard for boundaries.
3. They think they are entitled to your attention.
4. They take no responsibility for their behavior.
5. They constantly play the victim role to make you feel guilty or shame.
6. They sometimes threaten with committing suicide or self-harm in order to get their way.
7. They only call you when they need something from you, such as money, or favors at the last minute without taking into consideration your time and priorities.
If you are experiencing any or all of the above mentioned, you know what to do. Give yourself permission to be happy the way you deserve to be.